Cryptocurrency is becoming a global phenomenon but it is still misunderstood by many. In the year 2018 major bank, accounting firms, software company, or government started to research on cryptocurrency. Some of them may also have started a block chain project. Many people fail to understand the basic concepts of Cryptocurrencies.
What are Cryptocurrencies:
This was invented by Satoshi in the year 2008. This was intended to be a pure electronic cash system. To make this possible one must have a payment network with accounts, balances and transactions. As we all know modern currency like paper currency, credits cards are all controlled by banks and government policy, cryptocurrencies are not. As of 2018 there are more than 1600 cryptocurrencies available. Popular ones include, Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum and Z-Cash. Considering its current growth, we will be expecting many more to come. Cryptocurrencies are digital or virtual currency that are meant to be a medium of exchange. These digital currencies do not have a physical embodiment. It uses cryptography to work the way it does.
General characteristics of cryptocurrencies:
- There’s a limit to how many units can exist.
- Easily verifies the transfer of funds
- Operates independently. They operate in a decentralized manner.
- Allows new unit to be added only after certain conditions are met.
Why are Cryptocurrencies becoming popular?
- Little to no transaction costs
- 24/7 access to money
- No limits on purchases and withdrawals
- Freedom for anyone to use
- International transactions are faster.